帖子

积分

管理员

积分
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2019-2-25 22:13:45 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
【转自网络,谷歌翻译】
希望揭开大学录取过程的神秘面纱,一群斯坦福大学最近获得了根据联邦家庭教育权利和隐私法案(FERPA)对斯坦福大学申请的评论,原因是学校推迟了销毁与入学相关的记录。学生们发现,录取人员根据各种指标对他们的申请进行了一到五的评分,包括考试成绩,高中记录,个人素质和面试

根据FERPA,现在和以前的学生均有权在提出申请之日起45天内审查其教育记录- 包括其大学申请Fountain HopperFoHo - 一个广为流传的,匿名的学生流行的时事通讯 - 20151月公开FERPA流程时成为全国头条新闻.FoHo鼓励学生向大学询问他们的申请文件,包括书面评估和由录取人员分配给他们数字分数。

在被请求淹没之后,大学开始删除包括录取人员评论在内的记录。大学发言人E.J.写道,新的规范是,这些文件通常会在学生开始报名时被“删除”。米兰达在给每日电子邮件的电子邮件中。但是,有时候这个删除过程有一个延迟,允许一些学生继续访问他们的记录,Miranda补充说。

Haley O'Brien '20几周前在听到几个看过他们录取文件的frosh之后去了她的FERPA预约,只是递给她的CommonApplication副本。
“我什么都没有,”奥布莱恩说。 “没有备注。没什么。我真的在那里呆了两分钟,因为我没有什么可看的。“
“你对自己为什么会在这里感到好奇,但很难意识到这是在纸上,”每日职员艾伦娜弗洛雷斯22说,他发现在收到他们访问过他们的朋友后发表FERPA请求“非常容易”。通用应用程序文件

为了亲自查看申请意见,frosh必须前往Tresidder Memorial Union二楼的学生服务中心。她说,当RachelKim '22去查看她的文件时,一名妇女指示她关掉她的手机,并提醒她,她放弃了她的FERPA权利,以获得她的推荐信。金报道收到一份文件,其中一些部分被涂黑了,她推测这是她的推荐信。
“当你预约时,你可以选择你想要的分钟数,而我所有的朋友说20分钟是充足的时间,”金说。

在弗洛雷斯的任命期间,她惊讶地发现了一个名为“兄弟姐妹报告”的页面。
“在我的录取文件中,他们实际上将我与我的兄弟(2016年从斯坦福大学毕业)比较,”弗洛雷斯说。 “他们用他的GPA和一些关于他的高中的统计数据将他的高中报告放在那里。”

每日工作人员Evan Peng '22发现“读者笔记”(“reader notes”)是他文件中最有趣的部分,以及为智力活力指定的分数。
“我觉得这真的很有趣,因为思想活力在斯坦福大学的校园里是一种模因,”彭说。
除了由录取官员撰写的摘要外,多个来源发现遗产地位和种族都分为缩写和数字。
确认为韩国人的金女士注意到她的种族在她的档案中被标记为“2k2”。
“我有另一个亚洲朋友,因为他的种族得到2,所以我们认为2可能是亚洲人,但这只是猜测,”金说,他认为将种族等同于数字类别构成了“道德问题”。
在采访报告中,金注意到她的“性格”得分为三分之三,尽管她的采访者写了一篇正面的文章。
“有点奇怪,我的性格得到了一个数字,”金说。

去年,对160,000多条学生记录的分析发现,哈佛在个人评级方面一直对亚裔美国申请人的得分低于其他人。该报告是由代表亚裔美国人的团体提起的,该诉讼针对该大学。斯坦福大学和其他15所精英大学在11月份提交了一份法庭之友简报,承认其“有种族意识”入学的做法,以创建一个多元化的学生团体。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

管理员

积分
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2019-2-25 22:17:54 | 只看该作者
【原文】
Hoping to demystify the collegeadmissions process, a group of Stanford frosh recently gained access tocomments on their Stanford applications under the federal Family EducationRights and Privacy Act (FERPA) due to a delay in destroying admissions-relatedrecords. The students found that admission officers ranked their applicationson a scale of one to five on various metrics, including test scores, highschool records, personal qualities and interviews.

Under FERPA, both current and former students have the right toreview their education records — including their college applications — within45 days of the date a request is made. The Fountain Hopper (FoHo) — a widelycirculated, anonymous student-run newsletter — made nationalheadlineswhen it publicized the FERPAprocess in Jan. 2015. The FoHo encouraged students to ask the University fortheir application files, including the written assessments and numerical scoresassigned to them by admission officers.

After being deluged with requests, the University began erasing records that include commentsfrom admission officers. The new norm is that these documents are typically“expunged once a student begins enrolled attendance,” wrote Universityspokesperson E.J. Miranda in an email to The Daily. However, sometimes there isa delay in this deletion process, allowing some students to continue to accesstheir records, Miranda added.

Haley O’Brien ’20 went to her FERPA appointment a few weeks agoafter hearing from several frosh who had seen their admission files, only to behanded a copy of her Common Application.

“I had nothing,” said O’Brien. “No notes. Literally nothing. I wasliterally there for two minutes because I had nothing to look at.”
“You have a curiosity for why you’re here but it’s hard to realizeit’s on paper,” said Daily Staffer Alanna Flores ’22, who found it “super easy”to make a FERPA request after hearing from a friend who had accessed theirCommon Application file.

In order to view application comments in person, frosh have to goto the Student Services Center on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union.When Rachel Kim ’22 went to view her documents, a woman instructed her to turnoff her cell phone and reminded her that she had waived her FERPA rights to herletters of recommendation, she said. Kim reported receiving a file with someportions blacked out, which she surmised were her letters of recommendation.

“When you set an appointment you can choose how many minutes youwant it to be, and all my friends said 20 minutes was plenty of time,” Kim said.
During Flores’ appointment, she was surprised to discover a pagetitled “Sibling Report.”
“In my admissions file they actually compared me to my brother[who graduated from Stanford in 2016],” Flores said. “They put his high schoolreport in there with his GPA and a bunch of statistics about his high school.”

Daily staffer Evan Peng ’22 found the “reader notes” the mostinteresting part of his file, as well as the score designated for intellectualvitality.
“I thought that was really funny because intellectual vitality isa meme on Stanford’s campus,” Peng said.
Along with the summaries written by admission officers, multiplesources found that both legacy status and ethnicity are categorized intoabbreviations and numbers.

Kim, who identifies as Korean, noted her ethnicity was marked “2k,2” in her file.  
“I have another Asian friend who got a 2 for his ethnicity so wethink that 2 might be Asian but that’s just a guess,” said Kim, who thoughtthat equating race to a numerical category posed an “ethical issue.”
In the interview report, Kim noticed she received a score of threeout of five for “character,” despite a positive write-up from her interviewer.
“Kind of weird that my personality was given a number,” Kim said.
Freshmen can view supposedly-deleted comments on their college applications --Stanford Daily
Last year, an analysis of more than 160,000 student records found that Harvard consistently scored Asian-American applicantslower than others on personal ratings. The report was filed by a grouprepresenting Asian-Americans in a lawsuit against the university. Stanford,along with 15 other elite universities, filed an amicus brief in November acknowledging its practice of“race-conscious” admissions in order to create a diverse student body.
However, Miranda contendedin his email to The Daily that the availability of viewing comments onadmissions records was “not related to the current case regarding Harvardadmissions.”
Despite the questions Kim had about the meaning behind herethnicity score, she concluded that her admission file was not “asnumber-oriented as people make it sound.”

“My reader one wrote 3 paragraphs about me and I think that’s moresignificant than numbers,” she said.
Flores, on the other hand, had mixed emotions after viewing heradmission file. She remembered shedding “a small, gentle tear” as she wasreading some of the comments made by the application reviewers and added thatshe had hesitations about recommending that other students make FERPA requests.
“I came out of reading it actually really, like, distraughtbecause they were critical of a lot of things,” said Flores. “They kind of diginto your insecurities.”
Beginning in 2015, students who submitted FERPA requests couldaccess their documents through NolijWeb, a third-party content managementsystem that the University has used since 2009 to host scanned files.

A databreach in NojiWeb that allowedstudents to view other students’ admissions files and sensitive personalinformation forced the University to suspend online access to FERPA documentsat the beginning of this month. Any student who requests their applicationmaterials must now make an in-person appointment to receive printed copies oftheir admissions documents, stored on NolijWeb.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

常春藤之路 ivytrack.org  

JS of wanmeiff.com and vcpic.com Please keep this copyright information, respect of, thank you!JS of wanmeiff.com and vcpic.com Please keep this copyright information, respect of, thank you!

GMT-4, 2024-4-27 14:08 , Processed in 0.026004 second(s), 22 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表