主题

帖子

积分

管理员

积分
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2018-8-22 17:25:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Financial Aid: FAQs Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions About Financial Aid

There are billions of dollars of financial aid available to students who need help paying for college. If you want this assistance, it’s important that you determine your eligibility and apply on time.

How many college students get financial aid?

In 2014-15, about two-thirds of full-time students paid for college with the help of financial aid in the form of grants and scholarships. Approximately 57 percent of financial aid dollars awarded to undergraduates was in the form of grants, and 34 percent took the form of federal loans.

Can I afford to go to college?

Despite all the news stories about rising college prices, a college education is more affordable than most people believe. There are many colleges that provide an excellent educational experience at a price you can manage. Public college prices are much lower than you might expect.

What’s most important to know about aid forms?
Patricia McWade, Dean of Student Financial Services, Georgetown University

Does applying for financial aid hurt my chances of being admitted?

Not usually. You are generally admitted based on your academic performance and the qualities you bring to the campus community. Colleges want to admit a diverse group of students and often use financial aid to achieve that goal. It is very important to apply for financial aid early in the application process, before all of a college’s funds are allocated.

Do I qualify for aid even if I don’t get straight A’s?

It's true that many scholarships reward student performance in high school, but most government aid is based on financial need. Remember, if you do receive need-based aid, you must remain in good academic standing to renew your aid annually.

Are private colleges out of my reach?

Although the cost of college is certainly an important factor, you should not concentrate on it until later in your college-selection process. Instead, focus on finding a college that is a good fit — one that meets your academic, career and personal needs.

In some cases, you might have a better chance of receiving aid from a private college and end up paying a lower total price than at a public college. Private colleges often offer more financial aid to attract students from every income level.

Is my family’s income too high to qualify for aid?

Financial aid is intended to make college available to students from many different financial situations. College financial aid officers consider family income, the number of family members in college, medical expenses and many other factors when reviewing your financial aid application. So, even if you think your family income is too high for you to qualify for aid, you should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after Oct. 1. This form determines your eligibility for federal and state student grants, work-study and federal loans.

The best way to get an estimate of how much financial aid a college will offer you — and therefore how much you’ll really pay to go to that college — is to use the college’s net price calculator. Most colleges have these tools on their websites. Net price calculators give you an estimate of your net price for a particular college — that is, the cost of attendance minus the gift aid you might get. Learn more about net price.

Should I work while I’m attending college?

Students who attempt to juggle full-time work and full-time studies may have difficulty completing their academic programs. However, students who choose to work a moderate amount often do better academically. You may find that working in campus jobs related to your career goals may be a good way to manage college costs, get experience and create new ties with the university.

Can I try to get my aid award revised?

Some colleges may be willing to review your financial aid package if your financial situation changes. Consider discussing these changes with the financial aid office if your family has experienced an unexpected decrease in income or increase in expenses since you applied for financial aid.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

常春藤之路 ivytrack.org  

JS of wanmeiff.com and vcpic.com Please keep this copyright information, respect of, thank you!JS of wanmeiff.com and vcpic.com Please keep this copyright information, respect of, thank you!

GMT-4, 2024-5-15 12:44 , Processed in 0.030647 second(s), 23 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表